KWT Winter CSA Month 3 February


I wasn't expecting a rainbow of foods in February. We are digging deeper into the dog days of winter, which means we must dig for our food too. 3 varieties of potatoes, daikon, two kinds of onion, garlic, beets, carrots, turnips. I'm gonna list this down below, that's a tubular amount of tubers.

I'm glad for the 2 spots of green collards and salad mix, which I will thoroughly wash. Slugs! I found 4 slugs in last month's greens. I'm sorry to say there probably were more that I unintentionally ingested. I was a little too disgusted to photograph them, but next time I catch one I will publish the evidence.

Kensington Windsor Terrace Winter CSA Month 3 February
1 head cabbage
1 bag collards
1 little bag salad greens
1 shallot
1 red onion
2 heads garlic
10 medium and large beets
5 medium diakon radishes
5 large carrots
4 medium turnips
3 lbs red potatoes
2 lbs russet potatoes
2 lb sweet potatoes

I'm thinking the cabbage will become sauerkraut, which I haven't had this winter yet. I eat the potatoes for breakfast like home fries (who needs toast?) with an egg on top. I prefer not to eat large turnips raw so I will probably cube and roast them, or try maybe something new. Previously I was slicing the daikon and carrots up and eating them with lunch and for a snack. Daikon cakes seem to be in my future with the volume. I will boil the beets until they are soft peel, cut, and toss them with garlic, shallot, parsley and black eyed peas for lunch. Today I plan to make a big pot of lentil soup with a little bit of all of the above because I'm just dying to taste it all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Read Nutritional Labels in Chinese

Healthy Eating Taiwan, Pt. 1 Healthy at Home

An Aboriginal Lunch in Taroko Gorge at 達基力部落屋風味餐