Thurston's Ginger Beer, Again

No one will see it coming, but this is killer ginger beer

Summer has been a whirl wind of picnics, barbecues, road trips, and questionable luck. The combination is keeping me out of my kitchen. I am repeating an old summer time favorite recipe, Thurston's Ginger Beer. I am also demanding you make this recipe. It is easy. It is cheap. It was given to me on a boat by a Jamaican Guyanese friend, and I have never seen anything like it online. It have served it every which way with soda, rum, vodka, lime to all matter of thirsty chefs and mixologists. Everyone loves it. Its is authentic, and nothing in a bottle can come close to this ginger beer recipe. Thinking I'm bragging? Try it yourself.

Thurston's Ginger Beer

2 quarts water (1/2 cup reserved)
1 large ginger root peeled
(Thurston indicated that the piece be the size of a man's 4 fingers and palm)
1/2 cup rice
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup turbinado or raw sugar
1 quart seltzer water
ice
lemon/lime slices to garnish

Heat all but 1/2 cup of the water over high heat in a pot. Meanwhile puree the ginger in a Cuisinart, or a blender until smooth. A spice/coffee grinder also works well. Place the ginger puree, rice, and salt in a tall glass pitcher or jar with a good lid. Add the water when hot, but not boiling to the pitcher and stir. I like to put the lid of my jar on and shake. Cover and place in fridge for 2-3 days, shaking/stirring periodically.

Strain through a fine mesh sieve or cheese cloth, squeezing to remove fluids from the rice/ginger puree. I had to strain mine twice. Heat 1/2 cup water with 1/2 cup sugar until sugar dissolves. Add to ginger beer, and stir.

Now comes the moment of truth. Taste your serious biting sharp ginger beer. I found I needed 2 to 1 ginger beer to seltzer to tame it just enough. More sugar may be necessary, but this isn't exactly your grandmother's Vernors, so don't over do it. Add lemon slices to make it pretty.

What makes this recipe real is that you don't cook the ginger, its full of raw ginger power. I am not sure what the rice does. Certainly it adds some starch to the mix, maybe curbs the bitterness of the ginger? It works.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Read Nutritional Labels in Chinese

Healthy Eating Taiwan, Pt. 1 Healthy at Home

An Aboriginal Lunch in Taroko Gorge at 達基力部落屋風味餐