Beet Chips


Summer is dumping an earthy soil rich load of vegetables on my door stop. Its the best eating of the year but there gets to be a point when eating vegetables for breakfast (green beans, corn, and beets) starts to feel oppressive. Craving something less healthy but in respect to my csa veggies I decided to pull out my frying grease and pot and do some damage to the excess of beets jamming my fridge. Beet chips have a metallic sweet flavor with a delicate crunch. Factoring in the oil and salt flavors from frying beet chips have a complete spectrum of flavor. Ready to dip or eat alone. I enjoy my beet chips on a nice sandwich.

Beet Chips

2 bunches of farm fresh beets, greens removed and peeled
(I used a mix of golden and red beets)
oil for frying
(I used 50% canola 50% peanut oil)
salt

Heat oil to 350 degrees in a wide and tall thick sided pot. Slice beets about 1 mm thick on a mandolin. If you don't have a mandolin borrow one. Its too labor intensive to chop all the beets equally thin by hand.

1 mm is about this thin

Add beets to oil in small batches, so as not to over crowd. Cook for 30 - 60 seconds. Beets have a high amount of sugar, so try not to let them brown. It will hurt the natural flavor and make them bitter. Lift beets out of oil, shake to remove oil over pot, and drain on paper towels. Salt immediately, like the very second they hit the paper. Cool and serve. Will keep for 2-3 days in an air tight container.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Read Nutritional Labels in Chinese

Healthy Eating Taiwan, Pt. 1 Healthy at Home

An Aboriginal Lunch in Taroko Gorge at 達基力部落屋風味餐